Sunday, August 14, 2011

Canning away!

When I got going in the garden this summer, I didn't think we'd have as good a harvest. Last week the paper said we had the hottest summer in 100 years of record keeping. But we have kept things watered and I have been canning almost daily for the past six weeks. It's starting to wind down to just eating out of the garden. We have okra coming off and are still getting tomatoes, a few cucumbers and green beans, a couple of melons and a ton of peppers.

We have been getting some good deals on peaches for canning and have taken advantage of that. I just love how peaches look when they are canned!

We also U-picked a couple of bushels of tomatoes last week so I could make some wonderful tomato sauce and a few other things. We have had several bushels of tomatoes from our own garden but there are so many things that I can with tomato. I love having them to make soups, salsa, sauce, juice. . . I could go on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment